Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Smells Like...Geek Factoid Time!!!!

Actually, I find most of this stuff pretty freakin' interesting...I found this on this one dude's blog (Props to you, Mr. Alan Williamson)

He went to this dinner with Marissa Mayer, who is the Product Manager for Google, and since I am, among most of my friends, a huge fan of Google, and Gmail - I was fascinated with the little factoids.

Such as...


The prime reason the Google home page is so bare is due to the fact that the founders didn't know HTML and just wanted a quick interface. Infact it was noted that the submit button was a long time coming and hitting the RETURN key was the only way to burst Google into life.

The infamous "I feel lucky" is nearly never used. However, in trials it was found that removing it would somehow reduce the Google experience. Users wanted it kept. It was a comfort button.

The name 'Google' was an accident. A spelling mistake made by the original founders who thought they were going for 'Googol'

Gmail was used internally for nearly 2years prior to launch to the public. They discovered there was approximately 6 types of email users, and Gmail has been designed to accommodate these 6.

Genius, I tell you, genius.

No comments: