Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sad Day

I just found out that my dog Scruffy is going to be put down today at 4:00 pm. I am trying not to look like a blubber baby, but it's so difficult not to.

We have two dogs at my parents' house: a mini-Schnauzer and a mini-half Scottie/half Terrier. The Scottie/Terrier gets on my nerves ever since she came to the house. She basically has the same personality as my mother (thus, why my mother insisted that we have her) but she whines constantly, yips all through the night, has a terrible case of puppy B.O. and does so many things out of spite.

Meanwhile, Scruffy was my favorite. He has a beautiful coat of gray, and very loyal. He just didn't like anyone that he didn't know - but that wasn't his fault. My mother let Hannah (my 12-year old sister) train him, and Hannah really didn't know the first thing about training a dog. She hardly let Scruffy out to play with other people, didn't help him get acclamated with other people and strangers. And on top of that, Schnauzers are very protective and uppity, he really needed to go to training sessions or something.

Regardless, we've had Scruffy for two years or so now. I love him. I used to go over and sleep on the couch and he'd immediately come up to me and snuggle real close, give me soft kisses.

Today, apparently, when my older brother came over to say hello and pick up a few things from my parents' place, Scruffy came attacking at him and bit at his kneecap. And so my Mom made the executive decision to put Scruffy down.

I can't believe it. I feel horrible inside. I never knew I'd ever be as attached as I am to him - and I don't know what I am going to do the next time I go home and won't see my baby boy coming at me and snuggling me.

Wow, it's this horrible emptiness inside. My Dad said he is going to be in the room when they give Scruffy the injection...just thinking about it creates knots in my stomach.

No comments: